Okay, so there is a trailer for an upcoming documentary that's been making the rounds on the internets. The subject is a small town in Bavaria (Germany) called Oberpfaffelbachen that is starting a new tradition around a massive ramp they have built. The name: Rampfest, of course.
But here's the hilarious part:
- There isn't any town called Oberpfaffelbachen, despite the fact that the town has a fake homepage,
- A fake mayor with a fake welcome video
- A fake fake 'Miss Ramp' contest,
- A fake city councilor with a fake Friendster account
- The documentary, it turns out is also fake, but it has a real webpage promoting it
- The director is fake too, including his fake blog about the project
What it turns out to be is part of a guerrilla marketing campaign for the new BMW 1-series coupe which will be launched in the US this year. Or, if you can't see this coming, launched to the US via the massive (and fictitious) 454-meter tall ramp.
The Statue of Liberty is only 93 meters tall including the massive pedestal.
I love it!